Please Support My Race Against Melanoma...In Loving Memory of Brad Pinney

On April 19th, 2010, I will be running the Boston Marathon, in honor of a very special man and his family. In September 2008, Brad Pinney passed away at age 58, after a couragous six-month battle with Melanoma. Brad was an amazing man, a stong father and loyal neighbor, who spent countless hours giving back to his community. Together, we can give back in his honor and fight the battle against Melanoma.

My goal is to raise a minimum of $5,000 for the Melanoma Foundation of New England. With your support, we can help other families detect, prevent and cope with Melanoma.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Boston Marathon Training: Paranoia Paranoia!


Those of you who've run long distances before know this is just about the time when race day paranoia sets in. With just over a month to go before the marathon, I need to make sure everything feels ok. So, today, it took me forever to get ready for my 16 mile run. Here's why: (with peak into my psychotic brain):

1. Clothing Catastrophe: "It's 50 degrees -yay!. But, if I wear shorts, I can't wear my ankle brace because then it's going to rub for 2 hours and slash my shins open. But if I wear pants, I'll collapse of heat exhaustion!" Solution: Capri pants, no brace.

2. Ankle Brace Dilema: "If I don't wear my ankle brace, what if I step on a rock and I re-sprain my ankle??!". Solution: Chucked the brace,since I've already been doing short runs without it and I won't want to wear it on race day either..Ankle feels fine!

3. Blister-tastic Trauma: "I should probably rub my feet with a pound of petroleum jelly AND Aquaphor, because it's really hot out." Solution: Took 20 minutes to slather my feet, and still got some blisters. Dang it!

4. Ga Ga for Gu: "Crap, I only have one Gu packet left, and City Sports doesn't open until 11 am!" Solution: Frantically checked 2 stores before asking some runners on the race route for the nearest sports store. Lucky for me, one of the guys had an extra Tri-berry, and hooked me up. How's that for good kharma?

5. Music Mania: "I hate the songs on my ipod. Maybe Shaun will let me use his. Wait, maybe I can just download 10 new ones to get me revved up! Wait, what? iTunes is undergoing an error today?! When does that EVER happen?". SOLUTION: I borrowed Shaun's ipod and asked him what to listen to, specifically something "Cheerful", and he replied easily "Vampire Weekend." Done and done.


All in all, the 16 miles went incredibly well, considering how nervous I was in the morning. I finished at about a 9:00 min mile pace and had no problem with the hills (I thank training in Vermont for this!). The sunshine seemed to melt away my paranoia throughout the run, and the Gu gesture from a fellow runner really made me happy.

However, by mile 14 I was unusually dehydrated and my body ached. Next time, I'm bringing more water in my Fuel Belt... Next week, add "WATER PARANOIA" to the growing list! Oh well, 18, here we come!

ps- One thing NOT to be paranoid about? Raising enough money for the Melanoma foundation! So far, we've raised over $13,000! Let's go for $15,000! Thanks for all of your support =)

No comments: