Please Support My Race Against Melanoma...In Loving Memory of Brad Pinney

On April 19th, 2010, I will be running the Boston Marathon, in honor of a very special man and his family. In September 2008, Brad Pinney passed away at age 58, after a couragous six-month battle with Melanoma. Brad was an amazing man, a stong father and loyal neighbor, who spent countless hours giving back to his community. Together, we can give back in his honor and fight the battle against Melanoma.

My goal is to raise a minimum of $5,000 for the Melanoma Foundation of New England. With your support, we can help other families detect, prevent and cope with Melanoma.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Boston Marathon Training: The Things You Do For Love.

Happy Valentines Day, all! Yes, it's the day of love and all things cupid, but training must go on! Today, I ran 12 miles out on the Charles, before a delicous Valentines day dinner cooked by Shaun. I finished at a 9 minute mile pace, fighting a relentless wind on the Storrow side. Seriously, the wind literally did not stop blowing for atleast 8 miles. I have pretty sweet wind burn to show for it. Oh, the things you do for love =)

Last week, I got a pretty sweet response to my Breakfast of Champs post,(Quiche recipe below)..and today, I started my morning off with another Power Breakfast: Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal! This is a heavy hitter. Loads of carbs for energy and protien for recovery,so make sure to eat it a few hours before your run. All you have to do is mix 1/2 cup of Quick Oats, 1/2 cup water, 1 smashed banana, and a tablespoon of PB. Microwave for 2 minutes. YUMMMM.. It's my favorite!

As I was getting ready for my long run this morning, I started to realize the effort that really goes into a long run. Here are my top necessities to get the job done:

Petroleum Jelly: I slather it on my feet, arms, wherever to prevent blisters and chaffing. Last year I had a chaffing scar on my neck so huge, that everyone thought it was a hickey. I'm trying to prevent that this year.
Foam Roller: The second love of my life. I roll right before and right after my run to release muscle tension
My Fuel Belt: H2O is critical, so I fill my fuel belt with Nuun, my favorite electrolyte drink. This belt is also wicked fashionable.
My ipod Today I started off with tunes from MGMT, then moved to Jay Z. About halfway through, I thought "I wonder if Beyonce ever gets mad about Jay's old songs.."Girls All Over the World? Hustler?!"...Yup, music is always a good way to kill time.
Gu - Sticky energy, nuff said.
Aquaphor's Eucerin Ointment: I slather this on my feet after every run. This stuff heals any and all blisters, open wounds, the works.

All in all, a solid V-day and a solid run. Next weekend is 14 miles and the big Brad Pinney Wine Tasting & Silent Auction. Get ready for lots of pics!

And lastly, here's last weeks Egg Quiche recipe!
Ingredients
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup liquid egg substitute (or regular eggs!)
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup diced onion
3 drops hot-pepper sauce (optional)
Directions
1.Microwave the spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Drain the excess liquid.
2.Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.
3.Combine the egg substitute, cheese, salsa, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out.

Wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day. Thanks for reading!

No comments: